What to Know About the US Warships Sent to South America and the Reaction in Venezuela
The U.S. is deploying over 4,000 sailors and Marines with three amphibious assault ships to counter drug cartels off Venezuela, prompting militia recruitment amid heightened tensions.
- The United States is boosting its maritime force off Venezuela to combat Latin American drug cartels, with three amphibious assault ships carrying more than 4,000 sailors and Marines arriving next week.
- President Donald Trump has pushed to use U.S. military assets against cartels, designating Tren de Aragua, MS-13, and six groups based in Mexico as foreign terrorist organizations in February.
- Maduro's government and militia members hosted weekend sign-up drives that President Nicolás Maduro called successful, while the ruling party claims the Venezuelan volunteer militia’s membership exceeds 4.5 million.
- Analysts and current and former government officials say the U.S. has not signaled any planned land incursion, while Venezuelan citizens discussing the deployment see invasion speculation spreading.
- Following confirmation last week of three U.S. Aegis guided-missile destroyers, the White House strategy aims to satisfy the Venezuelan opposition while prolonging political polarization, Christopher Sabatini, Chatham House research fellow, says.
67 Articles
67 Articles
What to Know About the US Warships Sent to South America and the Reaction in Venezuela
The United States is boosting its maritime force in the waters off Venezuela to combat threats from Latin American drug cartels with the expected arrival of more vessels next week, an action that will undoubtedly fuel more speculation among Venezuelans, their government and its political opposition.

What to know about the US warships sent to South America and the reaction in Venezuela
The United States is boosting its maritime force in the waters off Venezuela to combat threats from Latin American drug cartels, with the expected arrival of more vessels to the area next week.
Venezuela and its president, Nicolás Maduro, find themselves under heavy pressure from the United States, which has decided to deploy warships off the coast of the Latin American country to express their dissatisfaction.
Caracas, Venezuela. President Nicolás Maduro said Thursday that "there is no way" that the United States invaded Venezuela and called on its citizens to enlist in the military forces, amid Washington's announcements of mobilizing troops to the Caribbean.The United States announced the dispatch of five warships and some 4,000 troops to the South Caribbean, near Venezuela's territorial waters, for maneuvers against drug trafficking.The AFP spotted…
Venezuela’s president, Nicolás Maduro, warned this Wednesday of the alleged deployment of a U.S. nuclear submarine in the region and pointed out against what he considers a “gun diplomacy,” based on military force. “I have so many cannons, so many ships and I put them in front of you. And you surrender,” said Maduro, who referred again to the growing U.S. military activity during a ceremony to hand over credentials to several foreign ambassadors…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 64% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium